Sunday, December 4, 2011

Collings electrics--

I"ve always known Collings as a fantastic acoustic guitar maker.  I've played a few Collings Dreads, and they were, to say the least, amazing guitars.  I wish I could remember the models.  One was a used Dread I played at Alto Music in New York, and it sounding like rich chocolate pudding, and played just as smoothly.  It was as if you took Martin's bass, added Taylor's playability, and then brought the whole thing up to a new level- just a great guitar.

When I was hunting for my new conquest, a Les Paul style guitar, I was seriously considering the Collings City Limits.  All the reviews I read were stellar, and I almost pulled the trigger, but then, I saw a Don Grosh '59 Spec at Eddie's Guitars.  Although the body shape is a bit strange, it had all the other specs that I wanted.  The Grosh stays true to the LP's 25 3/4" scale length, whereas the Collings is a 24 7/8".  Also, I like the traditional paralellogram fret markers on the '59 Spec.   The other difference is that the Grosh's pickups are a bit more vintage sounding, if only by a hair.

I still think about the Collings all the time, although I am extremely happy with my Grosh.  Both are excellent guitars.  Uh-oh, I feel a GAS attack coming on...

http://www.collingsguitars.com/electrics.html
http://groshguitars.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment